Follow my time volunteering in an elementary school in Tumbaco, Ecuador!

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Host family!

I'm not sure when I will be able to put this on my actual blog since, well, the way it works here is that you type on your laptop all the stuff you want to put online and then you have to go to an internet cafe to actually put it on the internet. There´s a WiFi place about 20 mins away but things are a bit complicated. So I might write about a few days then put them up later.


But today is Thursday, the day orientation ended and all of us moved into our host families! The last "huzzah" for orientation was a scavenger hunt all around Quito! We had teams of three and had to rush around the city finding places and getting clues. It was the first time we were out on our own which meant lots of other firsts: riding the bus, asking for directions (in Spanish! Example: We asked a woman, "Where is the office of letters?" We couldn't remember how to say post office! But we got there alright =] ), and lots of walking around a new city. Everyone so far has been so nice and is always glad to let us know how to get to places like "the office of letters." Turns out, my team won! We got to the end first while everyone else was either way behind or lost! Go team!


After that, everyone split to go to their host families. I am living in a smaller town called Tumbaco which is in "the valley" of Ecuador. It's only about 50 minutes outside of Quito. There are lots and lots of dogs so they suggest you put rocks in your pockets to scare them away. In the States, I have my cellphone in my pocket, in Tumbaco, I have rocks. The first day with my host family was a bit awkward since they barely speak English and I barely know Spanish. I have a host brother, Ernesto, who is 16, a host sister, whose name is Anna Isabel but her friends call her Anita but at home she's called Chumbella (not sure how to spell it yet….), and my host mama. The first day I was with them was very hard because everyone in my family had other things to do, so I just sort of sat there and tried to make awkward small-talk with my brother. To be honest, I was really worried because my god! It was so hard to communicate! Even with my five years of Spanish!


Also, funny story: I arrived at my host family's house, and my brother and I were waiting around for the others to arrive. It was about 19:00, the time when lots of Ecuadorians eat dinner. So I asked Ernesto, "So when are we eating dinner?" And he said, "Oh, we don't eat at night. Just a big lunch." I have to get used to that. Having only one very large meal everyday plus a small breakfast. I've already got some food hoarded in my room…. I don't understand how they can only eat twice a day! It's crazy.


My house is actually also the school where I´ll be working. There´s a big yard in the front with a playground and a huge avocado tree. I might have to learn to like avocados because they probably have hundreds just on that tree! So there´s a main building with the kitchen and bathroom and living room and the classrooms and then you walk outside to all of our bedrooms. I´m actually sleeping in my brother´s room right now since we also still have another volunteer (named Sigrun from Iceland) whose 6 months will be up in about a week. After she leaves, I get her room. She´s been so helpful though, showing me around a bit and translating some when I need it.


The day after I met my family (Friday), all of the volunteers were supposed to met in Quito to go El Centro Historico. Instead of taking the bus that I'll most likely be taking from now on, I took a taxi to save time. Ecuadorians drive crazy!! I was quite scared, but my driver, Gustavo, was really nice and distracted me from his crazy driving by asking me questions and coping with my butchered responses.


El Centro Historico is the historic part of Quito. There´s a huge plaza called Plaza Grande with lots of important bulidings around it. We toured the government palace where the president has his office, and then we got a tourguide name Luis who brought us around the rest of Centro Historico. Luis was very good at telling us everything shady and sexual about the area: how much money you could get for stealing something out of La Compania (one of the largest churches in Quito), where to find a drug that will knock you out for a good 12 hours, where to see the Angel with the Large Penis, etc. It was pretty funny.


Day 2 with my host family showed much improvements. It's really difficult for me to understand mi mami because she talks so fast. But Chumbella, my sister, knows some English, and we all had a nice conversation around the kitchen table. Segrun and I made a cake and we ate that with the family.


On Monday I start Spanish classes. I can´t wait since they should help a lot.

Hope everything is well in the States!

Ciao!

Leslie

4 comments:

  1. Les!
    I read your email; I will of course keep writing and I understand that you won't be able to reply as often as I write. No worries. I am glad that you are able to communicate with your host family and that you are having fun! Kudos also for being a good blog writer. Anyway, you will here from me, I promise
    LOVE YOU!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. me gusta que ya llames a EEUU como "los estados" y nada mas. eso hacia en MX. es lo mismo con el almuerzo y la cena en MX tambien--ya leslie, no lo guardes en tu cuarto! te acostumbraras muy pronto, no te preocupes. tambien, te prometo que en menos de dos semanas ya hablaras y entenderas bastante bien el espanol. lol hablar con tu familia te ayuda mas de cualquiera clase, aprenderas. and um ok....tienen un arbol de avocados?? hacen su propio guacamole cuando quieren y es frescisimo CADA VEZ?? que celos tengo!! MMMM ME ENCANTA EL GUACAMOLE ok. bueeeno nada mas queria decir hola, te quiero y que estoy tan feliz que ya embarques en uno de las experiencias inolvidables de tu vida :)
    -ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. leslie, post office is correo lol. Everything's fine here. Just wondering-is your host bro attractive???? That's probably inapro-pro, but I'm REALLY curious. Are you taking pictures?

    lurv,
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, rocks in your pockets? that's the rockinest! you should make a sling or something, out of leather, and be a huntress for a day.

    good to hear all is well and stimulating, though. did you pick any relevant books to read while there?

    ReplyDelete