Follow my time volunteering in an elementary school in Tumbaco, Ecuador!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

My project

Today, instead of going to my Spanish class, I stayed at home to learn the ropes of the school day. It was Sigrun's last day of teaching so it was my last chance to sit in during her classes to see what goes on. In the school (which is called Jose Antonio Velasco), there are three grades: Pre-Kinder (4 year-olds), Basico Primero (5-6 year olds), and Basico (7-8 year olds). There are on average 10 kids in each class--only about 35 in the whole school. With all three grades, the teaching method is songs and games rather than writing things down on paper. So we sang all these songs like "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes" and "The Hokey Pokey" which the kids love because they can move around and be loud. Having never been a teacher before, it was a little intimidating. But unlike Sigrun, I won't be the sole English teacher in the school. I'll be helping a new teacher named Senora Adriana as the assistant English teacher. I got to meet her today, and I really like her a lot. However, I've noticed that here in Ecuador, a lot of people who teach English actually don't know a lot of English themselves. For example, my host mom is the director of the school at which I work, the school that is teaching kids English, yet she knows probably less than 10 words herself. And as part of his high school requirements, my host brother, Ernesto, has to teach English to older folks on the weekends, yet he knows about 15 words in English. Senora Adriana is currently taking English classes at I guess a university so she's better than both my host mom and brother, but she's still not even close to fluent. She and I were joking today that I'm going to have to teach her English and she's going to have to teach me Spanish. But I think between the two of us, we should be able to accomplish something in the classroom.


I also finally was able to meet the kids at the school. It's kinda bad when the 5-year-olds talk better Spanish than you, but hey, I'm learning. But the kids are so sweet, very wild, and unfortunately come from some pretty rough families. They struggle to understand that hitting and stealing from each other is not okay. And in the classroom, they are SUPER wild, especially Pre-Kinder, but I think that's just the age. However, I don't remember my own elementary school days being so wild--we never had kids who wandered off and did their own thing when the teacher was trying to have a lesson. There are a few kids here who are apparently impossible to work with so they get away with not doing the lesson like the rest of the class. Already, I'm trying to think of ways to improve and build on what they've already learned. It's going to be really difficult but I can't wait to get started!


Before all the kids left to go home, we had a party to celebrate Sigrun's last day of teaching. The kids were all really sad to see her go and kept giving her hugs and kisses. It was so sweet.


Also, the host family situation is getting much better. It was really awkward for awhile because I couldn't figure out how to fit into their schedule. For awhile, I would only see my brother because I'd wake up and walk out the door for Spanish classes and return home and go to bed before the rest of my family even got home. I've learned that eating a meal with them is the best way to spend time with them. So today after the school day was over, Sigrun, my mami, and I all ate lunch together and talked about things. Twas good.


Also something interesting: since the vast majority of people here are Catholic (95%), everyone keeps asking me what religion I am. And of course, how does one explain Unitarian Universalism in English let alone Spanish? It´s been interesting.


That´s it for now,

Les

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with those kidos...sounds fun. WE HAVE A NEW COMPUTER!!!! It's HUGE. Like REDICULOUSLY huge. But very shiny.

    love,
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear how excited you are and that the host family situation is improving. Have fun with the kids. Did you take a camera? And if you did, please take pictures of adorable children. And I can send you pictures of Oscar!
    Love ya darling,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to know that half feral children in Kindergarten are a world wide phenomena. I guess I assumed that it only happened out here in rural Vermont. No child is truly beyond hope. Some just learn in very different ways, and in some cases you have to adjust your scale of accomplishment.

    Although this seems hard now, it will probably be one of the most meaningful times of your life. Keep plugging and before you know it, it will all look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. unitariano universalista? oy. not the easiest, to be sure.

    eso fenomeno es bastante comun en india tambien. in a lot of the villages and rural areas, encuentres clases de ingles where the teachers know virtually no english outside of trade-and-barter language. y es triste que this is the english they happen to master; it's telling, in terms of the class structure, isn't it?

    Pero se supone que la importancia de aprender ingles en estos lugares, en vez de la lengua nacional (hindi/espanol) o el idioma regional, isn't really too great in the minds of the local people there. it's very complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. no pics yet, Ruth. trying to find a WiFi cafe to figure out how to put the pics up so that i can take all the time i need and not have to pay. but soon i hope!

    thanks for commenting everyone! it´s good to hear from you all!

    ReplyDelete